Monday 24 August 2009

Crazy Adelaide!

It’s been an age since I last posted. In that time, I managed to continue being ill in a way that only I know how. Tonsilitis wiped me out again… I’m actually quite impressed that I managed to get a GP to say “Holy Crap” (when he saw the state of my throat), though was less impressed by the size of the antibiotics he prescribed me (akin to horse tranquilisers). They worked a treat though and I was all recovered in time to well and truly wipe myself out once more during a manic weekend in Adelaide with my friend Mary from the UK.

I’ve never been a massive fan of flying, but for some reason in the last few months I have developed an intense fear, which was in no way aided by the gale force winds that hit Victoria on Friday. The gusts uprooted trees, and closed all but one of the runways at Melbourne International. Let’s put it this way, the word ‘stressed’ probably doesn’t quite cover it! A few delays later I was finally in Adelaide – my first real trip somewhere other than Melbourne since I got here. And it only took me, oh, like 5 months. Woops. How unlike me.

Now I must be honest, if you are expecting tales of Adelaide itself, and any photos at all you will be sadly disappointed. I couldn’t fit one of my cameras in my bag, and forgot to charge the battery on the other one, and generally didn’t see much of Adelaide anyway! I will be headed back that way again sometime for sure though. The weekend started with a birthday celebration Mexican style (piñata included), finishing ridiculously late considering our early start in the morning.

Saturday took us to the Barossa Valley, one of South Australia’s most famous vineyard regions. It was (another) winery festival, and we had 2 minibuses of people along for the ride. The Barossa is really pretty, and the wine was surprisingly cheap – I’d love to go back there in the summer. Everyone was in the party mood, and we managed to keep going for 15 hours straight. I haven't done that for a long time!

Sunday brought high winds so we went out for some lunch then just hung out in the house before heading out to Glenelg for dinner. I think I’ll have to go back there next time so I can actually see something – going to the beach in the dark isn’t quite the same! From what I did see, I do like Adelaide. It’s more laid back than Melbourne and that’s nice for a change.

I’m half way through my work day now, struggling through the tiredness from getting up at 4am for my flight back to Melbourne (I can’t even say that that seemed like a good idea at the time). Tiger Airways (the Ryan Air of Australia – and no, that is not a good thing) stood up to their reputation and got me home 75 minutes late. I only just made it to work in time!

I’m about to go meet some friends from home (they’re paying Melbourne a flying visit) for lunch today, and then home the day after tomorrow for a flying visit of my own. Good times!