Tuesday 29 September 2009

back to reality

I now have an En Vogue song stuck in my head...

I'm a tad disgruntled at the moment. Partly because I am penniless - the trip home pretty much wiped me out for the next millennia, and partly because Melbourne is teasing us. One week it is 30 degrees (which I sadly missed), the next we have the heating on again. I am assured that I will be over-hot soon enough...

It was difficult to get back into working after almost a month off. I took the edge off this by joining some friends at the High Vibes Festival in Northcote (just round the corner from my house) for some Sunday drinking, and started the week with a hangover. Good plan Pip! The festival was fun - a slightly raucous affair with far too many people squeezing into tiny 'bar areas' patrolled by overzealous security officials on a power trip. The whole street was cordoned off and the place was heaving. We managed to see a good band, and not spend too much time in the line for the bar which is always a good thing.

I got in to work to discover that my co-worker has not only decided to take 6 weeks off work, but that I am him (and me) for 6 weeks. Would sure help I knew what his job is! But, since I'm always one for a challenge (and a payrise), I'm sure it'll be fine. The rest of the week was spent catching up with friends and generally settling back into life - and trying to keep up the photography despite the crappy weather:

Flinders Station from Southbank


Last Saturday
brought the Aussie Footy League Grand Final. Where the Geelong Cats were playing the St Kilda Saints in the cold and hail. It was a tight game, which made it more entertaining, but the Cats won out in the end. Apparently Geelong (a town abut an hour out of Melbourne) went mad (think FA cup, and that would about explain it). I watched it in a quiet (by comparison) pub in South Yarra, and on walking through Richmond (where the stadium is) a few hours later, I discovered that this was by far one of the better decisions I have made in a while. The place was crazy! This city is AFL obsessed (the vast majority of the teams are Melbourne based), so I'm not sure how they'll handle it now that the season is over!