Friday 30 April 2010

April Fool

Forget April Fool's Day. I've started to wonder whether April has just been one big 'fool'. It's certainly been a month of calamity. Let's just say I am incredibly thankful for the RAC, free medical care, the new low NHS dental prices, the patience of my colleagues with my hacking cough and generally being a flake. I'm a little scared I've spoken too soon... After all, it's still officially April. It mightn't be done with me yet.

Still, things could be worse. I'm still smiling. And not through gritted teeth either. Maybe things got so ridiculous there that I just had to laugh it off. Or maybe I'm just happy. Springtime definitely helps. It's my favourite time of year. Watching no less than seven men change the tyres on my car (thus probably solving a few jokes), and hearing the classic line "for emergency medical situations, please call back in an hour" (never get sick in Northumberland) also helped provide some amusement of course.

It's not all been sickness and gloom though: A reunion with some old uni friends involved a few lessons about wearing sunglasses/earrings whilst tickling 3 year olds, rather a lot of cocktails (not at the same time) and rather a lot of fun (though it did make me feel slightly old when we realised we hadn't all been together for nine years). Heading down to Oxford early for a work trip meant that I managed to catch up with some more of the guys down there too. Happy days.

I keep getting asked why on earth I came back from Australia. Aside from the fact that I HAD to come back of course. I can't believe how shocked people are that I'm happy to be home. Maybe it's a 'grass is greener' thing. I love Melbourne and miss it and the people in it dearly, but I also have no regrets about coming home. I WANT to be in England. More specifically, in Northern England. And you know what? In a very literal sense, the grass is actually greener HERE ;)

So what's in store for May? Hiking, climbing, the first wedding of the year, photography (it's about time I dusted off the old neglected camera), running (providing I actually get well at some point), catching up with friends, a little study, and - right at the end - moving back into the city. Bring it on.