Saturday 26 December 2009

Christmas - Manuell style

Still back-dating these. I'm being rather slow.

It's always weird having Christmas away from home. It's the second time I've done it. The last time was in Canada, where I was treated to the first green Christmas in 60 years. I realise now, this year was only the 3rd time in about 19 years that I haven't spent some of the day with my childhood friend, Liz. Wow. This was my first summer Christmas. And man, that is just a tad weird. This year, I was taken in by Romany, and her wonderful family.

On Christmas Eve, after I finished work, we caught the train 4 hours out to Bairnsdale in South Gippsland, where her Mam collected us and drove us to Paynesville to catch the ferry to Raymond Island. Once across I got my first real glimpse of what it's like to live in true bush. There's no space for a straight road, so it just winds around the trees randomly. Unfortunately the torrential rain started and didn't stop til the next day, so we didn't get to wander around. We spent the evening having a beautiful dinner with some of the family. Next morning, after brunch at Rom's uncles house and after laughing at the fact that the guy driving the ferry was dressed as Santa, we headed back into Melbourne. Rom with a goldfish in a bowl on her knee. For 3.5 hours...

Finally, back in Melbourne, on a grey day that could only be reminiscent of home, we joined Rom's sister for a huge Christmas dinner with a big bunch of family and friends. The food was plentiful and beautiful, and the company good. The day ended with a definite first for me... going to the cinema! Who knew the cinema was even open on Christmas Day?

All in all I had a great time. Huge thanks to the Manuell's for their hospitality and kindness. It is very much appreciated :)