Sunday 3 January 2010

New Year at Metung

After a crazy Nov/Dec, I was ready for a slightly lower-key New Year. We decided that we didn't want to faff about trying to find a bar and spending a fortune in the city. Instead, 6 of us booked a cabin in East coast Victoria, near Raymond Island at a place called Metung. Good job too, as it turns out, since Melbourne was awash and the New Year was rung in with massive thunder and lightning storms.

I'd been working between Christmas and New Years for the first time in my life (I know, I know, slacker) and partying at the same time, and I was ready for a break. A couple of days chilling out, drinking on the verandah, swimming in the pool. Awesome. Metung is cute, a tiny little town right next to a lake. We still managed to get slightly lost looking for the (only) pub though!

New Years Day we headed to Lakes Entrance and hung out on the beach all afternoon. It was still feeling very weird for me to be sitting on a beach in January rather than staying indoors and trying to keep warm! Next day, we decided to head to the Buchan Caves, about an hour away from Lakes Entrance, to see the stalagtites and stalagmites. They're really quite awesome, and fully worth the claustrophobia.